Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Memnoch the Devil (The Vampire Chronicles, #5)Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Let me begin by saying that Anne Rice was a personal favorite when I was younger, just starting to read full novels and trying to find my niche/favorite genre. I was pleasantly surprised to find I still highly enjoy her work.

Lestat is still a character most people can relate to and the book, it self, is very readable from a stand alone point. The plot was strong and the story kept moving, keeping me interested. I have rated this particular book as 4 stars or "I really liked it" for a couple of reasons. First most, it was not disappointing and left me wanting to read the next in the series. The only "Flaw" I could find is something that other readers might not have any problem with!

The time that Lestat spends with Memnoch, The Devil, includes a complete depiction of creation, Heaven, Hell and Purgatory. The writing seems to be imposing a religious opinion, sorta of similar to the writing style that Terry Goodkind took heat for in his "Sword of Truth" series. It was implied that Goodkind was pushing religion and politics down the throats of his readers, after they were already dedicated to his series.

I don't share that opinion about Goodkind OR Rice, but the story does have some of that same feel to it. Personally, it does not detract from the story for me, it only adds to the depth. Best advice if you are the type of reader that has a problem with that, then this book might not be for you! I stand behind the four stars, I highly enjoyed this book.


View all my reviews

No comments: